Skip to main content

I'm proud

For the last six months never once have I said "I'm proud". Tonight I'm screaming it from the mountain tops. For nine months I read breastfeeding books, articles, tips. I felt like I knew what I was doing before our first latch. I had the birth I wanted. The latch I waited for. Then life of raising a newborn happened. If you've been following you know our struggles, our successes, our bittersweet moments. 


Tonight I saw my daughter chow down on a Milksicle and I wanted to cry tears of joy. She was so excited, satisfied. I missed her "breastfeed" face but as I was getting ready for bed I thought has her "face" really changed. She's growing. Laughing. Scooting. Cooing. Hitting all her development stages. I will be the first to admit nine months away I would of judged a mom shaking a bottle...fast forward it makes me sad. How dare I. Maybe that momma had the same struggles as me. Maybe she couldn't even produce 10ml's. So to those Mommas, I am sorry. We are a momma village and we have to stick together...no matter our parenting styles. I used to say "lesson learned with Annabelle, I'll start off better next time", beating myself up that I did something wrong. When in reality we were learning each other. There's nothing I could of done differently. Each child will be different. 


As I'm weaning to two pumps a day then to one then to zero, today was weird. I had more time to play with A, talk to Joel, and have more family time. It's bittersweet. I will miss providing her that bottle a day but I am proud to say I EBF her first four months of life. Supplemented with donor for month five then moving to formula. As we enter into the world of cereal and baby food in a way I feel equal. Something neither I or Annabelle can control. Well maybe her picky taste bugs but this is a whole new chapter we can take on together as a team. As a low supply momma I could of gave up months ago with her tongue tie. I could of just said this is it but I pumped on. Two months later, it's okay to pack up the pump. Mourning is okay but it's important to remember all the obstacles I overcame and tell myself "Lauren be proud, you've done good!" 



Momma on Momma Bears! Momma on, xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those beauitful moments

Yesterday was a day filled with many ups and downs. A night full of tears and questions. I found myself looking at myself in the mirror, eyes red and puffing asking "Lauren what happened". Life is a scary beautiful mess. I remember going through my PPD counseling and my counselor asked if a new mom asked you one piece of advice what would it be. At first I thought she was nuts! What kind of question is this and why are we ending a rough session like this. She gave me a moment to think.   "Motherhood is scary. Motherhood is beautiful. It pushes you to limits you never thought you were capable of. In the mix of it all you may have that one long night or that one long week that everything seems like its never going end but hang on and make lemonade out of lemons ". Last night I found myself re-reading all my past blog posts and I came a crossed, Life after Baby #1. I found myself re-reading over and over again. Those same thoughts are my current fears, Baby #2. Each

The SAD truth

When I threw my rock at The Climb, I knew it was going to take a lot more than just throwing a rock into the water. It was going to take hard work, blood, sweat and tears. The sad truth, it's time to let breastfeeding go. It has fueled sadness, anger, happiness. What I wouldn't do to go back to waking up every two hours nursing her. To feel that successful latch again. But that is not where we are anymore and that is okay too. So to the Mommas that miss that latch, I support you. To the Mommas pumping every two hours to only get 5 ML, I support you. To the Mommas crying as they make a formula bottle (many Harvard graduates were formula fed babies), I support you. To the Mommas that "need" their body back, I support you.    The one thing I take away from all this is the experience. It's been a painful joy and I wouldn't change any minute of it. To my pumpling , momma thanks you baby girl. Next Thursday will mark our six month breastfeeding journey. I reached tw

Ten fingers. Ten toes

As I rock this precious kiddo to sleep, I am overwhelmed. Everyone asks when's the next little Frederick?! My favorite is "your NOT on birth control?"- no, no sir I'm not. See almost eight years ago I was blessed with a lovely horrible no good UTI for almost two months, leaving in its track trauma and vulvodynia that can not be fixed by a simple pill or surgery. I remember when I first heard "Lauren, I'm sorry but sex will always be painful". The look on my doctors face was basically- best of luck sweetheart! I was in my early 20's. Sex? Painful? Dear lord I'm only 20! I want a big family, huge house and this doctor just told me that? For years I tried therapies and different techniques. After years of wondering what kind of man would love a woman that couldn't provide a physical need all humans need. I mean come on? We're adults, it's a need we all need as humans. What am I going to do? What man would ever love a woman that can't