Skip to main content

Raising my tribe

As I got ready this morning, I found myself reflecting over the last year. I flash back to March 8, 2017. It's 12:45am. I haven't slept in hours and I wonder if my body is ever going to push this baby out or will we have a c-section. Shortly after I had four major contractions and the next thing I know I began pushing at 1am. Lincoln made his entrance shortly after. His birth was something out of my birthing dreams. My midwives were amazing and my husband was something else! Knew what I needed before I even asked. Before going in that morning I remember looking into the mirror and having a heart to heart. "Lauren you got this. This will not be the same. You have come too far to let the beast return. Now go push out this baby!". And then we left for my induction. This morning while waiting for my coffee to be done, I found myself having a similar pep talk. This past year I have been pushed and pulled mentally and physically. Some times I find myself thinking ... will the beast return, will I be strong enough for round 2, will my marriage survive another round but then I snap back to reality. Similar thoughts remind me my PPD with Annabelle didn't appear till 10-11 months. I never imagined at 27 I would be a mom to two kids. My wild crazy dream was to live some crazy life in New York City being a paralegal but then I met my Prince Charming and we started this amazing life together in Kalamazoo and my New York dreams slowly faded away.



The last year has been a whirlwind. Pumping went 100% better with Lincoln. Although my supply dropped at 6 months I am so grateful for the time Lincoln and I shared. He pushed me to be a even stronger woman than I thought I was ever capable of being. Being called mom is the best title I could ever receive. I may not have lived out my crazy dream in New York but I am sure creating a great one in Galesburg. Right where I am suppose to be! 



 
So to the beast, thank you. I have never thanked you. Because of you I found my inner strength 2 years ago. I am thankful for the life lessons and a stronger marriage. And although I am not out of the woods yet, every night I reflect. I continue to heal. I continue to rebuild. I continue to speak my truth.
 


 
Mommas that are still climbing, don't stop! Through the struggles I am healthier mentally than I have ever been. Sometimes I wonder if my mind is playing tricks on me and than I hear a little voice "momma I wuv you" from the back seat and I know whatever happens today, we will all be okay. Every life event changes a person. First big date, sporting event, getting married, having children, the list goes on and on. The important thing is to find beauty through the pain. I vowed to myself that 2018 will be the year of rebuild. Rebuild myself to be a stronger healthier 2.0, continue to work on my marriage because if everyone ever tells you marriage is easy and it's butterflies and rainbows they are lying and you should never ask for advice from them again, and to grow as a mother. Just like life event, life challenges come with life lessons. You live and you learn. You make mistakes and you let go know matter how hard it may be.

Mommas you are okay. I am okay. You are not damaged. You are not broken. You are climbing. Each day you will climb a little less. Lately I've been climbing a lot more dealing with anxiety attacks but I like to think it's my "little friend" coming back to remind me of how much I am grown. I hate promises but this one I can truly say, I promise one day you will wake up and have that moment and know that no matter what life throws at you, you will be able to handle it with control.

So to whoever is reading and finding healing in this blog knowing you are not alone, you are not alone. Motherhood is scary, beautiful, challenging, rewarding and the best kind of life. So to my momma tribe, thank you. Thank you for putting up with my venting sessions at 1am, spend Saturdays eating nachos and other junk food, and being amazing friends.

Warrior Mommas...you rock!
Until next time, live your best day TODAY! XoXo
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those beauitful moments

Yesterday was a day filled with many ups and downs. A night full of tears and questions. I found myself looking at myself in the mirror, eyes red and puffing asking "Lauren what happened". Life is a scary beautiful mess. I remember going through my PPD counseling and my counselor asked if a new mom asked you one piece of advice what would it be. At first I thought she was nuts! What kind of question is this and why are we ending a rough session like this. She gave me a moment to think.   "Motherhood is scary. Motherhood is beautiful. It pushes you to limits you never thought you were capable of. In the mix of it all you may have that one long night or that one long week that everything seems like its never going end but hang on and make lemonade out of lemons ". Last night I found myself re-reading all my past blog posts and I came a crossed, Life after Baby #1. I found myself re-reading over and over again. Those same thoughts are my current fears, Baby #2. Each

The SAD truth

When I threw my rock at The Climb, I knew it was going to take a lot more than just throwing a rock into the water. It was going to take hard work, blood, sweat and tears. The sad truth, it's time to let breastfeeding go. It has fueled sadness, anger, happiness. What I wouldn't do to go back to waking up every two hours nursing her. To feel that successful latch again. But that is not where we are anymore and that is okay too. So to the Mommas that miss that latch, I support you. To the Mommas pumping every two hours to only get 5 ML, I support you. To the Mommas crying as they make a formula bottle (many Harvard graduates were formula fed babies), I support you. To the Mommas that "need" their body back, I support you.    The one thing I take away from all this is the experience. It's been a painful joy and I wouldn't change any minute of it. To my pumpling , momma thanks you baby girl. Next Thursday will mark our six month breastfeeding journey. I reached tw

Ten fingers. Ten toes

As I rock this precious kiddo to sleep, I am overwhelmed. Everyone asks when's the next little Frederick?! My favorite is "your NOT on birth control?"- no, no sir I'm not. See almost eight years ago I was blessed with a lovely horrible no good UTI for almost two months, leaving in its track trauma and vulvodynia that can not be fixed by a simple pill or surgery. I remember when I first heard "Lauren, I'm sorry but sex will always be painful". The look on my doctors face was basically- best of luck sweetheart! I was in my early 20's. Sex? Painful? Dear lord I'm only 20! I want a big family, huge house and this doctor just told me that? For years I tried therapies and different techniques. After years of wondering what kind of man would love a woman that couldn't provide a physical need all humans need. I mean come on? We're adults, it's a need we all need as humans. What am I going to do? What man would ever love a woman that can't